Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tornado and the aftermath

First my apologies to everyone who ends up reading a dozen blogs about tornadoes.

At about 1:45 this afternoon we were told there was a tornado and we needed to move to the center of the building. We moved into the bathroom, stayed there for a few minutes then into the cultural hall and chapel. It was so weird because I didn't think it looked like it was going to rain when we got to church. It was interesting to see how people reacted. I wasn't too nervous. If anything had happened I naturally would have wished Brian to be with me, but I found safety in being in a house of God with other brothers and sisters of the gospel.

Here are the pictures I took. It's crazy how just a few miles made such a big difference in what damage occurred.

My poor garden! Look how sad the basil is :(


The tomato plants and oregano did pretty well. My peppers didn't fair as well; I hope they will recover.

Sorry about the focus in this picture. Marble size was the biggest I could find in our yard.

I drove to my uncle's house, going past Southlands Mall on the way there. I heard they were hit fairly hard, but I don't know the extent. So this is a light by the mall, you can see the traffic lights are not pointing the right direction.


This picture was difficult to take because I had to be a safe driver (gosh!). The power lines had several wires that were dangling on the ground and this one has debris tangled on it. Notice the hooks that should have wires on them, but don't.

No comments: