I pulled the plug on our daily tv watching! Looking back, it probably wasn't the best idea to do it right after Halloween and before the time change. However, we have stayed strong and I am feeling good about it. I'm not going to take the time to post all of my philosophical/spiritual opinions about this right now, but I will say that I am feeling much better about our family climate and myself in my role as a mother.
I have gotten into some bad habits, one of which is disconnecting from my kids when I feel frustrated and overwhelmed. I was relying too much on the television. My house still isn't clean, but I feel justified because I have truly been creating memories and spending quality time with my children. Making new habits takes a lot of work, and at one point I was on my knees in prayer bawling. But Help has come.
Alright, now onto the fun stuff :) Here are a few of the ways we connected yesterday (today we played in the snow for an hour and a half, don't let the sunshine in this picture deceive you!).
We washed carrots from grandma's garden
Set up an obstacle course
These cute little guys are the next contestants
Demonstrating
Making bread
Homemade soup with some of those homegrown carrots!
(p.s. we didn't completely do away with the tv. Tonight we had a family movie night. It does seem a little counter productive to reward our first no tv week with a movie, but we had some great snuggling and laughing all together :).




No comments:
Post a Comment