Sunday, August 21, 2011

On my mind

My perception of myself at this stage in my life, especially my definition of motherhood has been changing. Here are a few of the things I am trying to change in my mind set.

*Being available to Little Miss as she leads me around by my finger is not a waste of time. No, the house may not be clean, but I am teaching her that she is more important to me than how our house looks. People are more important than things.

*I will probably never want to play Star Wars, but I need to do it anyway. I need to be involved with what Handsome likes, even if I don't like it-especially if I don't like it. How will he feel supported and loved if I never share the things he loves with him?

*I need to find joy in all of their stages, because too soon they will be over. I don't understand why one of her favorite things to do is climb up the ladder on brother's bed, crawl to the other side and get lifted down, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat . . . . But the happiness on her face should be enough to envelope my frustration.

*Physical nourishment is not as important as spiritual nourishment. My focus is too much on the physical when the spiritual is where I should be spending my efforts.

*Love and kindness is always the solution; getting angry and frustrated never works.

*Diligence is key. Children need consistency and habits are built with practice. Diligence.

*I want to be a happy mom. If I am worried and upset I will miss the joy because I am only seeing the bad. I want to teach my kids that although things don't go your way you can choose happiness and choice is very powerful.

*I need to do a better job of accepting they are people that I need to respect. I cannot control them. My job is to teach, guide and love them. They may be little now, but some day they will be big :)

*Being a mom is hard work and I can't do it alone. A good husband and a loving Heavenly Father enable me to do that which is more important to me.

3 comments:

kim said...

Those are great things to think about Katrina. Thanks for sharing. I have to remind myself of those same things as well. You are a great mom though.

GunHottie said...

You are constantly teaching me with the things that you write in your blogs. Thank you for sharing yourself and your wonderful spirit with others, especially me!

The Mrs said...

Thank you for the wonderful reminders!