Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year ponderings

The year got off to a wonderful start. Brian had the day off, I got some new running shoes, and we had lunch with some friends. Then on Friday my in-laws came down to watch Matthew so Brian and I could have a night "on the town." We went to the temple and out to dinner and Coldstone. We got to the hotel and watched the end of the Sugar Bowl. What a great game! Sunday was fun too. I love my little primary class, they're so cute!! We talked about some goals and activities they like. They were excited about all of them, so they should be easy to please :). And today we are venturing into the realms of potty training. I really want it to work, but we'll have to wait and see. So far we've had one accident and been in tears. We're going to try and use the little potty and see if that is less intimidating for him.

As we were waiting to start our temple session I was looking through the scriptures and I've decided that my theme for the year is Doctrine and Covenants 88:119-126, for the most part, I took out a couple of verses (sorry, it's kind of long).
119 aOrganize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a bhouse, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
120 That your aincomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with buplifted hands unto the Most High.
121 Therefore, acease from all your light speeches, from all blaughter, from all your clustful desires, from all your dpride and light-mindedness, and from all your wicked doings.
124 Cease to be aidle; cease to be bunclean; cease to cfind fault one with another; cease to dsleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be einvigorated.
125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of acharity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and bpeace.
126 aPray always, that ye may not faint, until I bcome. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen.

I think there are plenty of things in there for me to work on now!

I've also been thinking about resolutions and if I want to set any. James Harris gave a talk a few months ago (thanks James!) and spoke a little bit about weaknesses. Sometimes our weaknesses will go away, but sometimes they don't. The temptations I deal with the most are food, not exercising and reading. When I fail I end up in this downward spiral wondering why I'm so weak and why I can't get rid of these vices. Then I finally realized I just need to manage these cravings, not get rid of them. I've heard addicts talk about how they are always addicted to alcohol, they just learn how to control themselves, but the desire is always there. I also thought of that scripture that says to bridle your passions. I don't need to eliminate these "passions", just keep them within reason. Hopefully, if I work under that mindset I can make progress and keep my self-esteem elevated too.

On a completely unrelated note, how long can I keep my Christmas tree up? I have snowmen on my one tree so it's really more of a winter tree ;) When do you take yours down?

I hope everyone has a wonderful year!

2 comments:

The Whitaker Family said...

I really liked this post, Katrina! I agree-- I need to work on bridling the passions and it sounds like mine are quite similar to yours. (I've just been checking out 5k races for the upcoming year and I'm getting psyched!)

Also, we took our tree down this last weekend. I say do it whenever you want-- as long as it comes down in January! ;)

Oh, and GOOD LUCK with the toilet training! I'll come to you for advice after all the new baby ordeal is over with!

Becky said...

I'm so glad you're Julia's teacher and that you like your class!