Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The week so far

I talked to my Grandpa on Sunday and it totally made my day. I am slowly recording his life history and he was talking about the depression and WWII. He said he remembered where he was when the bombing on Pearl Harbor was announced. He was in the house, the radio was on and his mom was sweeping the kitchen floor. Then I thought about how I know where I was when I heard about 9/11. We are in a recession, but so far it is not as bad as it was during the depression. My grandparents have lead a rough life and they are great examples to me. We are so blessed!

On Monday Matthew really wanted to make a snowman so we did it that morning before the snow melted. He named the snowman "Carrot."


Here he is later the same day going for a bike ride. I did have to take his jacket off after the picture because it was so hot.


We went to Sunflower Market and the florist was getting rid of some of the "old" flowers. She gave them to me free of charge. I love daisies!


This was a couple of days ago, Brian was out practicing his cast and Matthew needed to practice too.


Matthew recently told me my chin was broken and we needed to go to the chin store to get it fixed.

He did great at storytime today! Normally I have to sit right behind him on the rug and he just watches the other kids. Today he walked right in, sat in the middle of the rug and participated (it was a little, but it was something!).

Any tips on dealing with a toddler who constantly changes his mind? For example today, we are heading home from the park and I ask Matthew if he wants to ride the swings on our way. He says no, he just wants to get home. He points the direction he wants to go and we walk for a few minutes. Then we have a break down about how he wants to ride on the swings. How do I get him to stop this? It seriously drives me crazy!

I did come to the realization that I don't think I respect Matthew enough. I have been viewing him as my charge and he should follow instructions. But he is his own person with likes and dislikes, desires and opinions. I need to step out of the way and do a better job at guiding him instead of ordering him around. He is so fun and I love him to pieces!

2 comments:

Tiffkanee said...

How'd you break your chin? And where is this chin store? I want to go!

erica said...

have you ever made a decision and regretted it? I think 'toddler meltdowns' are their way of sometimes showing regret. He said no to the swings, regretted it, and was bummed. I do it to. swings ARE fun.