Sunday, July 19, 2009

Toddler speed vs Adult speed

I feel like our speeds are completely opposite. When we need to run an errand I want to hurry and get it done so I can check it off my list and have it over with. Matthew does not want to hurry. Getting into his carseat involves checking out whatever toys are on the floor of the car, turning on all the lights, buckling his straps, buckling his Sheepie in to the seat next to him, etc, etc. Then we're walking into the store and he wants to look at all the wheelbarrows, the tires on the lawnmowers and comment on all their colors. Meanwhile I am impatiently trying to shoo him along and getting more and more frustrated. Other times he just wants to take off and I can barely keep up with him. He goes from activity to activity in a matter of seconds and I feel like I'm chasing a tornado when I would rather slow down.

However, we have been commanded to be childlike. Matthew finds joy in every journey, no matter the size. I barely notice the journey, I'm so focused on reaching my destination that not much else matters. I'm working on learning this lesson. In the eternal perspective it does not matter if it took us an extra five or ten minutes to make it to the post office. My goal is to try and follow his lead; to not be so worried about making good time, but having a good time (name the movie? Matthew can!). Thank goodness I have another day to try and do better!

1 comment:

Jess said...

This is so true, and so important. Thanks for sharing!