Monday, March 29, 2010

Birthdays, pink shoes and more!

I've read a couple other blogs lately containing random things which is funny because this one will be too.

Brian turned the big 3-0 last week! He wasn't too thrilled about it, but he was a good sport. There wasn't anything he really wanted for his birthday so we did activities instead. On Friday we made some homemade Whopper ice cream and took it over to his office. They also had an ice cream cake to celebrate the other March birthdays. We went to dinner at Chik fil a that night (super fancy!) because Brian said he would like to go some place where the kids would be happy. On Saturday we got together with some friends at one of Brian's favorite pizza places.

I should have taken more pictures, but I spaced it :( Then he went to an antenna building class where he did have a lot of fun and then we went to Cafe Rio for dinner. Yummy!

So I bought these pink shoes a few weeks ago.

This was a very big step for me. As some of you know, I really view myself as fashion-challenged. It's probably due in part to the fact that I am so self-conscious most of the time that I don't view myself objectively. My wardrobe is mostly solids. I'm afraid of patterns :( I don't know how to accessorize or add punches of color. I'm not sure how to tell what style of clothes look good on me or how to find them and make complete outfits. Anyway, I felt daring and bought these shoes and I cannot believe how many comments I have received from them! It kind of makes me embarrassed, but also glad that they look okay (unless everyone has been lying to me . . . ) I'm starting to get used to them and even if my growing belly doesn't help the self esteem at least I have a cute pair of shoes I can look at past the belly!

Being pregnant is kind of funny. It's interesting to see how people treat me differently. A couple of weeks ago a man helped me load some things into my car. He scolded me for trying to lift things and monitored the things I put in the car (the light things of course). Then he congratulated me and hoped that I had a good day.
I get more comments from strangers usually asking about the gender. I also get to listen to a lot of stories! One woman at the library told me she had a boy, a girl, then a sixteen year gap and another girl.
To be honest, I really don't like being pregnant (please don't bash me for this; I am pregnant and can cry at the drop of a hat). Last night trying to get ready for bed I told Brian that it just seems to be a lot of work to get into a comfortable position. Little Miss is very active which makes me uncomfortable and thankful. An active baby is a healthy baby so that is good, but it just does not feel very good.
I have learned that there is a time and a season to help. I hear of lots of opportunities for service and I want to help, then realize that now is probably not a good time. This is my reminder to myself that when I am able to give more I really need to because of the times I am not in a position to.
I appreciate all the comments about my appearance and telling me how good I look. Even if you're lying it is still nice to hear!
I have been struggling with my ability to be a productive human being when I'm tired. I know my body is adjusting to all the late night feedings, but I really need to figure out a way to see past my desire for sleep. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend the next year in a storm cloud. I want to be able to be happy and enjoy my life.

Phew! That was a lot of random. Now off to do something productive . . . like vacuuming.

3 comments:

erica said...

I really don't like being pregnant either - it is okay to dislike the job of pregnancy. and I noticed your shoes on sunday and thought, "I love that she's wearing pink shoes. I want to do that. hum. maybe I'll find some this week." I haven't yet, but they left a nice impression on me.

Becky said...

I'm fashion challenged, too. Especially with shoes and accessories. But I didn't know you viewed yourself that way!

GunHottie said...

I hear you! I don't like being pregnant either, it is a good thing that the end result is sooo worth it! Lyla was a really active baby in the womb, too, and that hasn't changed since!