Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Instead of cleaning I'm blogging . . .

First off I need to say thank you to everyone who has been reaching out to me since I "came clean" about my depression. It is a hard thing feeling guilty and embarrassed about needing praise, but realizing that I am desperately in need of it. I have so many emotions that seem to opposing each other; I have a bit of a hard time figuring them out and expressing them. I have had some good days and some bad days. My focus and choices have been different which has been helping. I do have a doctor's appointment set up in a couple of weeks. Hugs to all of you who have filled my heart with love!

Perhaps in light of the past ten days, or maybe years of struggling, I have come to a realization. I can't keep my house clean. There it is, I'm laying it all on the line! Please don't judge me :( In my defense the apartment is not unhealthy or anything, but there are toys and books, etc, strewn all over. I am now giving myself permission to not beat myself up over this. I am choosing to see the things I have accomplished.
* I may not have emptied the dishwasher, but I played a game with my little man.
* I may not have vacuumed, but I let baby girl drag me along by my finger to explore grandma's house. What is that saying about how love is spelled t-i-m-e?
* I may not have picked up toys, but I do have cupcakes baking in the oven for my cute little Activity Day girls tomorrow.
* I may not have swept the floor, but I did read scriptures and pray with my kids.
* I may not have made my bed, but I did get to snuggle with little man and watch him fall asleep.

I remembered a talk given by President Monson a few years ago (if you have a minute to read it, you should). This has stood out to me since I heard it (which is a big deal since sometimes I can't remember what we had for dinner the day before . . . .)-
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."

To those of you who can keep your houses clean I applaud you with awe and amazement (and italics because I can't get it to turn off!). Perhaps someday I will be able to be able to be in your group :) Until then I am going to be happy with me. Right now this is how I am doing my best to follow more of the prophet's counsel-"we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future."

6 comments:

The Wessman Family said...

Thanks for those comments. I have been thinking lately about a better balance between my chores and spending time with my kiddos. I don't know where the balance is, but I need to make sure the focus is where it should be. Another thing I've thought of is that chores are not an end in themselves, but a means to an end - a way to bless our families. If the time we spend on housekeeping is not blessing our families - or if it is taking away from activities or things that will provide greater blessing for them - then we need to reevaluate. I don't know if what I said made sense, but thanks for your post because it is something I've been thinking about and got me thinking more.

Mindy said...

Katrina, you should speak at Women's Conference or something! These posts have been perfect. My house is always messy, too. I have accepted that it will always be messy, but my problem comes in the guilt that it brings me, like it means I'm a horrible homemaker.

When people come over I'm always apologizing. But I remember Olivia telling me of a lady whose house was always a mess and she never even aknowledged it or apologized. That is so inspirational to me! And I think if we apologize less, than it will actually make people more comfortable in our home.

And, once, an empty-nester stopped by my house unexpectedly and I was completely embarrassed and all apologies, but she just said, "What, do you actually live here with a family? It just looks like a family lives here!" I will love her forever for planting that realization in my heart.

PS Those whose homes are always clean, that is their talent. And they are wonderful. But it's not mine or yours. We have other talents, and let's not compare. Your talent is spending time with your kids, and mine is, unfortunately, spending time on the computer. :)

Olivia said...

I second mindy thoughts, and I congratulate you, Katrina, on doing the things that MATTER. When your kids are grown, they will not remember the messy house, they'll remember you playing with them and having scriptures with them. Be proud of yourself! :) You are doing a great job.

Tee said...

Amen! We really do put so much pressure on ourselves to be the best homemakers, but in the end, it's our children's happiness that matters. And of course our own happiness as well. This post is a great reminder to me that it's OK that my dishes aren't done 3 days in a row, but that my daughter is fed, happy and loved by me and her dad (and that she knows it!).

You are a good mother and a good wife. You are doing a good job, and I know Heavenly Father is happy that you are taking lessons from a prophet's teachings. <3

Heart and soul!

The Whitaker Family said...

I cannot keep my house clean either and I've come to accept that. I still try to keep it at a newly defined reasonable but that's it. I think you made THE BEST decisions about your time in all the examples you gave so good job, chicka!!!!

I also have been trying to live up to the 'To Do' lists that Sister Beck talked about. If I get the Essentials done then that is what matters most (pray, read scriptures, FHE, etc). Course its all a work in progress...

Rachel said...

Awesome! I like your priorities. Hang in there! You're doing great!!