Saturday, July 10, 2010

The case of the broken washing machine

The washing machine stopped working last week :( We immediately start thinking of worst case scenarios. Detective Brian starts poking around trying to find out exactly what is wrong and how much it is going to cost. Meanwhile it keeps getting later and later. He pulls up a video on youtube to find out how to take the washing machine apart. So we drain the water out of the tub and take all the clothes out. Brian decides it's either the motor or the pump. yay. I am increasingly surprised at the clean language he is using. Growing up with my dad (who I love lots) I know that when it comes to home improvement the frustrated language increases the later it gets.
The scene of the crime

The detective in action

The culprit
Somehow one of Matthew's socks made its way under the agitator and down the tubes into the pump. It got wedged in there so the water could not drain. This has to be one of the best fixes in home ownership-we learned all about our washer, made no trips to the home improvement store and spent no money. Unless you count the victory run to 7 Eleven at midnight :)

3 comments:

Olivia said...

Gotta love a good victory run! I learned from a friend that this same thing happened to that we should all put our little kids' socks into a mesh laundry bag when we wash them so this doesn't happen. Glad you got it fixed!

Becky said...

I am seriously impressed with your husband. And I KNEW the washing machine ate the socks! Now I have hard evidence.

The Whitaker Family said...

That's freaking awesome! I LOVE it when that happens! My hubby fixed our A/C and various other things that totally impress me-- gooooooooo cool hubbys!!!!!