Saturday, July 2, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

I am embarrassed to admit this, but as Memorial Day drew closer I realized I didn't remember where my grandfather's grave was. I strongly requested that we take a family outing to visit it, along with his brother's grave which is close by.



As we were walking bag pipes began playing in the distance. It's a little hard to see in the picture because he was far away. The experience of being there with so many who had passed on, many of whom have served our country, including my grandpa, sent chills down my spine (that I knew were not just from the unseasonably cold weather). I felt gratitude and unworthiness when I thought of their sacrifices. After this I have been feeling the importance of teaching my children about what a wonderful place they live in and why it is so wonderful.
A simple thanks doesn't suffice, but thank you to all who have served and are serving. You give us a gift that is so precious. I hope we will all work to be worthy of the gift.

No comments: