We went on a field trip to the state capital this morning. We talked about Utah this week at preschool. I found a bingo card online and printed it out. I was kind of nervous about how it would go since there are lots of variables-lots of other people, parking, grumpy kids, crazy tour guides, etc, but it was wonderful. It was just us and one other friend. I didn't get lots of pictures, but we got to see underneath the capital and all the earthquake proofing they did. So amazing that they could put those underneath the building after it had been built. The tour guides were awesome and so cute with the kids, helping find the things on their bingo cards.
This isn't the greatest picture, but while we were waiting Little Miss was walking around and the contrast struck me. My little girl in this huge building with people walking around her. Also, this dress is one my mom made for me when I was her age. Can't believe my mom hung on to this dress for almost 30 years! Little Miss loves it. She says "so pretty" a lot when she is wearing it :)
This isn't the greatest picture, but while we were waiting Little Miss was walking around and the contrast struck me. My little girl in this huge building with people walking around her. Also, this dress is one my mom made for me when I was her age. Can't believe my mom hung on to this dress for almost 30 years! Little Miss loves it. She says "so pretty" a lot when she is wearing it :)
The west side of the building.
This is the supreme court of Utah. You can't see it real well, but there is a little tiny circle under the picture which is a security camera. One of the Handsome Boy's favorite part was that little vintage traffic light on the podium that turns green, yellow and red so the person knows how much time they have left.
Here we are looking at the room, except Baby Girl who was happy walking around and looking at the camera.
The rotunda. There was some kind of convention going on underneath.
This light fixture is in the supreme court as well. All of the light fixtures and metal items are original or have been restored exactly like the originals. All of the symbols are fascinating to me. You can see the picture frame that is bundles of wheat bound together.
The elevators are original too. 1913. The architect wanted everything to be done with modern materials and inventions.
War memorial out on the west lawn. I must be getting more emotional as I get older, but made me think of how blessed we are. I tried to get a shot of the memorial, the flag and the building in the back. Turned out okay, but there was something stuck in the tree :(

We got to peak into the sessions that were going on (no pictures of that, too busy keeping kids quiet). It was interesting to see them in "action."
The cute kiddos at the end.
The cute kiddos at the end.








1 comment:
How cool!!! I'll have to talk to you about that-- I guess you made arrangements beforehand? LOVE Little Miss in the pics-- she is so pretty! :)
Post a Comment